Why Photography?

“There is nothing in this world that does not have a decisive moment.”--Henri Cartier Bresson.

It's Guinness.


Life is a compendium of successive slices of time. Photography let's you capture them and freeze them for eternity, or at least as long as your negatives last. I've always been fascinated by the ability to do this through a complex mixture of chemicals and mechanical boxes that focus the light, the light, and let you freeze it like a fly in amber. I've always been fascinated by the decisive moment.
I shoot with a variety of cameras, the magic box, and I like to shoot Kodak Tri-X, that staple of photojournalists, of which I once were. But film, digital, 35mm, full-frame, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, iPhone 11 Pro. None of that matters. It is the decisive moment that matters.
Look at the movement. The emotions. The lines. Individuals, captured, in a slice of life. A moment that meant so very much to each of them, together. Never to be replicated or experienced, again. And who is that lone head of hair in the background?
Tall ancient giants have the same resilience as time marches on to it's inevitable future. Bend with the wind, but preserve the moment. It is Eternal.
Now I think I'll just put my feet up. Be well, my friends.



Comments

Post a Comment